Monday 13 February 2012

Time to start re-writing


After three years on a Creative Writing course my productivity in writing has plummeted and my motivation has been sapped, why is this? In the first year I was all fired up - I went to a writing group albeit for only a few weeks before it got too cliquey - I wrote my first novel (The One Hundred and One Arabian Nights - 130,000 words) as well as a few short stories and co-wrote a film script which, despite certain people's comments, I thought was a great and original idea. However then came the second and third years and real life seemed to have taken over; the need for money and a proper job, the fact that I had to think of a new idea for a story for each module drained my imagination and enthusiasm. It had its plus sides though, I definitely have developed as a writer though I feel more conscious when starting a new story, my grammar definitely improved, I realised what areas I was strong in etc. but the passion I first had was drained out of me. Was I getting too old? Had I found other interests? Did my confidence in my writing plummet after some bad feedback and the rejection of my novel? I can't really pinpoint one thing but I used to get such a thrill when writing especially if it was something that I would read out in class or someone else would - to think someone would read my words as I had read the works of my favourite writers was something that really excited me. But after three years has that novelty worn off? I have to confess that it has, to see my name in print would still excite me I'm sure but perhaps I've become more realistic that I won't suddenly become the next J.K.Rowling overnight. In the past I've snubbed writing magazines, competitions even blogs and websites thinking that I didn’t want to waste my time on small fry when I could write a novel, get an agent and then a huge advance from a publisher that would allow me time to wallow in luxury. Alas dreams are harder to make into reality than they are to imagine them. But after a lot of thinking and some interesting and insightful talks by lecturers I’ve realised you’ve got to build your profile up in this modern day internet age. The publishing world is changing, like musicians used to come to fame and recognition through underground movements and word of mouth now they come to fame through the use of the internet sites like MySpace and YouTube excel trends that would normally take many years to occur. The same with writing. Publishers and agents look online for 'the next big thing' if you can get your name out there and recognised it means that by the time you do come to hitting the big league you can have something behind you to give your submission more weight and credence.
So after this long winded explanation of my current writing situation I have now been inspired to take up the struggle anew! Projects long put off should be put into motion once again, I want to rediscover the joy I had for writing as a form of escapism, of developing a skill and craft to a professional level and producing a piece of work I am proud of. It’s true that whenever I write - and I mean a good 2,000 words here not just the odd random sentence - I feel good. It's hard to compare but I feel like I have achieved something important in that time it’s like when you do exercise except it’s an exercise of the mind.
So let’s make a plan projects to undertake and start -

Do more work on this blog and post more regularly

Set up a facebook page and maybe even a "professional" writing account
Research more into online magazines and competitions
Get into the habit of writing - short stories and plays at first

Continue my second novel and finish it in a rough draft Summer/Early Autumn

Re-draft again and again my Arabian Nights novel

Submit my stories to different magazines

Improve my skills by remembering what I have been taught and improving upon it



Wish me luck!!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck! I agree, coming up with so many new story ideas a year is exhausting, I think once uni is done writing should become fun again. I hope it will, anyway.

    And about getting into the habit of writing, I think what Calum was talking about today, writing 30 short pieces in 30 days would be a really good idea to get the creativity flowing. And if a group of us did it, we'd all feel the motivation to actually do it! Maybe ask a few people and set up a Facebook group or something? And if everyone posted their own stories on a blog, it would bump up page views and...I don't know, really. I just quite liked the idea of writing short pieces with Dulux paint colours as prompts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers! And thanks reading despite the bad grammar in my defence I was very tired after that 3 hour lecture :P

    It would be a good idea actually might look into doing that :) haha we could find something really random like that

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't think the grammar was THAT bad, it's just hard to read such a wodge of text. Line breaks, Nick. Line breaks.

    I think we should. Except maybe put it off until April when we'll all be trying to avoid looking for jobs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nick! I drop into these blogs every now and again (with rather large gaps between the 'now' and the 'again' as you can see) to see if any students are still posting - as some of you are!

    Now that you have graduated, has the way you write changed? Have you rediscovered your enthusiasm?

    I was slightly different when I was a student, in that I revelled in having all the deadlines to meet and new projects to start; it was the most productive I had ever been as a writer. As graduation approached I went into full scale panic mode; Would I keep writing? What would I write? Who would I write for?

    Then I began teaching, albeit on the same course on which I was taught, and life and work and MARKING flooded into my writing oasis somewhat.

    THEN, I got into baseball and realised that being on the receiving end of a curve ball from the pitcher isn't necessarily a bad thing. It just sends your strike (if you make contact!) in a different direction to the one that you anticipated - and that can be exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kass! I've set up a new blog now as I find this website a bit difficult to manage but I’m still working out how to edit it properly.

      http://nrtrussler.wordpress.com/

      and a writer's page on facebook

      http://www.facebook.com/pages/NRTrussler/376764485686492?ref=ts&fref=ts

      I have actually rediscovered my enthusiasm :) I've written a murder mystery play set in the 1930's. I was inspired by seeing 'The Mousetrap' last summer. I'm also currently editing and expanding my FYP into a novel :) I've also began writing poetry again and have started reading Ovid's poems which I really enjoy.

      How did you get into teaching at university? Do you need a separate teaching qualification?


      Delete
    2. Ah, I shall look at your wordpress blog then.

      Re: teaching - some 'happenstance', a bit of being in the right place at the right time and a little of 'it's not what you know but who you know' all played a part. That said, I did know it was what I wanted to do and yes, I did spend a year doing a PGCE (in Post-16 Education) after I graduated. It's not a requirement (yet) as far as I know, but the teaching experience did stand me in good stead and has enabled me to supplement my uni income (an absolute neccesity it has to be said!) with other teaching.

      You should know my uni email address so do drop me a line if you think I can help in any way. I had a lot of assistance/good advice from others and am always keen to return the favour!

      Delete