Sunday 20 March 2011

What influences and inspires me as a writer?

Well it has to be John Cheever and Emily Dickinson of course J. Well, not really, but what inspires me as a writer is such a vast area, with many conscious and subconscious influences that fluctuate in their degree of influence and inspiration, depending upon what I’m writing at the moment in time or what I’m reading, that it’s hard to list them all. I will however focus on the writers that have inspired me, in one way or another. Well, where to start? It has to be J K Rowling, her rags to riches story has inspired a generation of not just readers but writers too. The way she has crafted her world and her characters, as to make it so believable that you could almost imagination that an owl would come pecking at your window with a letter from Hogwarts, is truly inspirational.
Recently I’ve been reading a lot of short stories by Guy de Maupassant, a 19th century French writer. I hadn’t really enjoyed short stories much but since reading him I’ve been inspired to write them, I must confess, in his style. His stories reflect the life and times he lived in with affairs, discarded lovers and an invading Prussian army. His stories are sometimes funny, sometimes surprising in their outcome but always entertaining. He is definitely the master of the short story and after reading them I now understand what a short story should do, and what Maupassant does so well, is to offer a snapshot of life, to record an amusing character or exciting incident in just a few short pages.

Evelyn Waugh influences and inspires me as the quintessential English writer (with a pipe no less) and a very British way of writing, capturing the real essence of British society in the 20’s and 30’s. A sense then of the heritage in English literature, and of British society, is something that I would like to carry on in my own writing.
However, though these writers have influenced me in one way or another, I do think it’s unhealthy for your own writing if you directly copy a writer, whether their style or their personal lives. Think of all the Stephenie Meyer rip offs, the Dan Brown rip offs and even, God forbid, the Ian McEwan rip offs (believe me they’re out there somewhere). Though as writers we will, and should, be inspired and influenced by that which has gone before us we must never the less find out own voice, our own unique perception of the world.   
  

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I have the same feelings about short stories (although I'm going to attempt one to submit to an anthology soon) so maybe I should try some Maupassant. One thing, though, you spelt Meyer wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to say I did it on purpose to show my distain for her writing but its actually because im a rather lazy person :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you mean "disdain"? Or was that another deliberate mistake?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear old JK is a given :) I wish I was her. SIGH. But an interesting piece - for me, (as a writer) I prefer to write short stories because I get uber bored writing longer pieces. I think, ultimately, I lack the drive to write longer pieces. As a reader however, I find short stories a little TOO short to completely absorb myself in. But anyway :) I must confess, never heard of this Maupassant chap. I'ma look him up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Though as writers we will, and should, be inspired and influenced by that which has gone before us we must never the less find out own voice, our own unique perception of the world.

    Interesting remarks.

    The BBC did a play version of Bel Ami by Guy De Maupassant a few years ago, look it up

    And follow me if you're on twitter - twitter.com/itwasbitten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bitten! I'll definetly check that out :)

      Delete